Note:

I know you may think me contradictive for posting recipes when I clearly don't follow them. That's true, but I ADAPT them and change the quantities of ingredients to suit my need/taste/feeling. So please feel free to ADAPT the recipes I post... now run free and enjoy the blog.

Wednesday, 22 January 2014

Wonders of the Microwave


Howdy everybody!

I’ve been on YouTube quite a bit of late and have (re)discovered a favourite cooking channel, SORTED Food.

They make all sorts of things from burgers to bubble tea and this particular recipe has got to be one of their best.

How can anything beat chocolate cake? How about Chocolate Cake in a Mug?

That’s right.

Behold, with the mighty powers of the microwave, I present to you this less-then-10-minute-to-execute-delicious recipe:


Chocolate Cake in a MUG!

(Adapted from sortedfood.com: Chocolate Cake in a Mug)

Cooking Notes:

The coffee powder added in the mixture is added more to enhance the chocolate flavour rather than act as another bold flavour. (If not a fan of coffee, this can be omitted.) But I highly recommend adding more for that toasty mocha taste.

You could always have different flavours other than chocolate by adding essences/extracts or dried fruit to the mixture, omitting the cocoa powder e.g. mint, almond, orange,  cranberry, raisins, vanilla, hard-core coffee and pandan. (Pandan will be my next experimental flavourJ)

Adding choc chips will make the cake moister and less rubbery. I don’t mind the spongy and slightly rubbery texture (perhaps because I was hungry at the time,) but adding a little more milk will make the cake softer in texture. (I tried this. Originally the recipe said 1 tablespoon but I say 2-3.)

Also, really important, you have to eat it STRAIGHTAWAY. If left for too long it will get extra rubbery and dry and that does not go down the throat.

Cake

·         2 tablespoons self-raising flour

·         2 tablespoons caster sugar

·         1 tablespoon cocoa

·         1 tsp instant coffee powder

·         1 small egg

·         2 tablespoon milk

·         1 tablespoon sunflower oil (or any other vegetable oil)

·         As many chocolate chips/buttons as you wish. (The more you put, the more moist your cake will be!)

Method:

1.       Spoon all the dry ingredients in a large mug and mix well.
Flour mountain



Cocoa mountain


Coffee mountain


2.       Crack in the egg and whisk with a fork to combine.
 

3.       Add the milk and oil and stir to combine.


4.       Drop in the chocolate bits. (I made the mistake of stirring it in the first time. DON’T do this as stirring they will end up at the bottom, burnt. They will sink naturally in the process of cooking.)
 

5.       Place mug in the microwave and cook for 2 ½ minutes on high power.
Looks like a soufflé!
 

6.       Be careful when taking the mug out as it will be hot!

7.       Eat as is/ with ice cream/ cream/ icing sugar/ a friend/ or by yourself (YES!)
I did not purposely drip batter on the side to make it look like Donna Hay. It's natural.
 



2 comments:

  1. Sorry for this late reply!!!

    MUG CAKES.
    Loved reading your post. :)
    We make them sometimes for a quick tea too. However, just a note, we usually put them in for only a minute. The heat trapped in the mug finishes the cooking off but all microwaves are different.

    I'll bear the coffee in mind the next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe thanks Jon! I should have mentioned that the time in the microwave will vary... thanks for that note :) Hope you're well

      Delete