Note:

I know you may think me contradictive for posting recipes when I clearly don't follow them. That's true, but I ADAPT them and change the quantities of ingredients to suit my need/taste/feeling. So please feel free to ADAPT the recipes I post... now run free and enjoy the blog.

Saturday, 8 February 2014

Salted Caramels AKA Butterscotch

Hullo everybody!

I have been wanting to try this recipe for a long time and finally I have found the time.

Izy from topwithcinnamon.com is such an inspirational blogger as she is only 17 and has one of the best female cooking blogs in the world. (I'm not making this up, seriously, she has won awards!)

Follow the link and be amazed.

This is quite a simple recipe; you just have to be organised and on your toes- ready for everything. (Improv is you're best friend)

I'll hopefully be posting another recipe tomorrow that includes these little caramels so you can premake them for ease of preparation.

Everything you need to know is in the cooking notes so... here you go!


Butterscotch

(Adapted from: topwithcinnamon.com: How to make Salted Caramel)

Cooking Notes:

Initially I thought this recipe would make soft setting caramels like a nice melt-in-your-mouth type fudge but…no. That’s ok though, instead they make hard setting caramels much like the buttery Weather’s Original.

One of the things I love about this recipe is that it doesn’t use glucose syrup (which is something I am a little afraid to use…) So kudos to Izy.

You have to work fast and be prepared because caramel is one of those fiddley little things that is easy to muck up. But fear not, I didn’t exactly follow the recipe to the word (uh, duh, my URL) so I improvised by adding more vanilla extract.

Read the recipe ahead and prepare all ingredients and moulds.

Ingredients  

·         132g caster sugar

·         6 tablespoons water

·         16g unsalted butter

·         4 tablespoon thickened cream

·         1 tsp vanilla extract

·         1 ½ tablespoons honey

·         1/4 tsp salt

Mini muffin moulds lined with squares of baking paper


Measure out all ingredients in individual bowls or cups. Trust me on this, it may be tedious but it helps when you’re on the verge of burning caramel.

Place the sugar and water into a medium saucepan and stir together over a medium to high heat, until the sugar dissolves.  

Start swirling
 

Swirl the pan while the mixture boils (NO STIRING!!!)

Keep swirling until it caramelizes.  (Yellow gold color) Take the pan off the heat.
 

Add in the butter and swirl it in.
 

Then the cream, honey, vanilla extract and salt. Stir it in.

If it does not look like this consistency, put it back on the heat and add a little more vanilla extract. (This should make the mixture a caramely colour.)
 

Quickly and carefully pour into prepared moulds as they are hothothot and set fast.

Cool until they are cool to touch then suck away! (PLEEEEASE DON’T BITE BECAUSE YOU WILL PROBABLY BREAK YOUR TEETH)
Done
 
 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment